RESOURCES FOR BUSINESSES
Support from Government and Agencies
FedNor is the Government of Canada's economic development organization for Northern Ontario. Through its programs and services, and through its financial support of projects that lead to job creation and economic growth, FedNor works with businesses and community partners to build a stronger Northern Ontario.
The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) is working to build strong, prosperous northern communities and we are pleased to offer unique programs to help foster hope and opportunity across Northern Ontario.
Community Futures Development Corporations (CFDCs) support local economic development by assisting Ontario's rural and northern communities to strengthen and diversify their economies.
- CDC of Sault Ste. Marie & Area - Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- East Algoma CFDC - Blind River, ON
- Economic Partners - Sudbury East-West Nipissing, ON
- Kirkland & District CDC - Kirkland Lake, ON
- LAMBAC CFDC – Gore Bay, ON
- Muskoka Futures CFDC - Bracebridge, ON
- NECO CFDC – North Bay, ON
- Nickel Basin Federal Development Corporation – Sudbury, ON
- Nord-Aski Regional Economic Development Corporation - Hearst, ON
- North Claybelt CFDC - Kapuskasing, ON
- Parry Sound Area CBDC - Parry Sound, ON
- South Temiskaming CFDC - Haileybury, ON
- Superior East CFDC - Wawa, ON
- The Venture Centre - Timmins, ON
- Wakenagun CFDC - Moose Factory, ON
- Waubetek – Centered out of Birch Island, ON
- Atikokan Economic DC - Atikokan, ON
- Chukuni CDC - Red Lake, ON
- Greenstone Economic DC - Geraldton, ON
- Lake of the Woods Business Incentive Corp. - Kenora, ON
- Nishnawbe Aski Development Fund - Fort William First Nation, ON
- Patricia Area Community Endeavours - Dryden, ON
- Rainy River FDC - Fort Frances, ON
- Superior North CFDC - Terrace Bay, ON
- Thunder Bay Ventures - Thunder Bay, ON
Regional Innovation Centres
Regional Innovation Centres help Ontario’s entrepreneurs and innovators succeed in international markets by helping them work through the challenges of developing their ideas to make them marketable and attract talent, capital and customers.
Programming and services are offered to clients who are typically in early-stage or growing innovation and technology companies with the potential to expand and succeed on a global scale.
- Innovation Initiatives Ontario North – North Bay, ON
- NORCAT Innovation – Sudbury, ON
- Northwestern Ontario Innovation Centre - Thunder Bay, ON
- Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre - Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Small Business Enterprise Centres (Northern Ontario)
Small Business Enterprise Centres (SBECs) offer entrepreneurs all the tools they need to start and grow their businesses.
- The Business Centre - Nipissing Parry Sound - North Bay, ON and Parry Sound, ON
- Regional Business Centre - Sudbury, ON
- Muskoka Small Business Centre - Bracebridge, ON
- Enterprise Temiskaming - Haileybury, ON
- Business Enterprise Centre - Timmins, ON
- Millworks Centre for Entrepreneurship - Sault Ste. Marie
- Thunder Bay and District Entrepreneur Centre - Thunder Bay, ON
- Northwest Business Centre - Kenora, ON
Support Programs and Tools
A search tool created by the Government of Canada to help you find the right support for you and your business.
- The Grow Your Business Online grant gives you up to $2,400 to set up e-commerce and grow your sales online.
- The Boost Your Business Technology grant gives you up to $15,000 to get advice on the technologies that can propel your business forward.
- Assists main street businesses with their adoption of technology with easy to use tools, resources, and grants.
The Business Development Bank of Canada provides an array of tools and articles which you can use as an employee, employer, prospective entrepreneur or long time business owner.
Information for entrepreneurs and business owners on permits, licences and other approvals needed to start or grow their business.
Quickly find grants, permits, online forms and information you need to start or manage your business.
The Northern Ontario Exports program provides timely financial assistance and targeted training to help export-ready small and medium enterprises, industry associations, and not-for-profit organizations from across Northern Ontario to kick open the doors to new markets.